Friday, August 7, 2009

Geocache Adventure #3



For our third adventure we went to Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon. It is probably my favorite area in Arizona. I love the red rocks, the creek and canyon are gorgeous, and the weather is so much nicer. I had a list of approximately 12 caches to look for. Max accompanied us on this trip, which we all know thrills me to no end. NOT!!! First two finds were fairly quick and relatively easy thanks to my natural geocaching skills. Cache number 3 was a bit harder, it was IN the CREEK under a rock, somewhere.....we never actually found it, well I never got in the creek to look, but Pat, Mike and William searched for quite awhile. Which is why I was left on the road with Max yanking my leash, holding Frizzle the mascot (he didn't want to get wet), carrying my camera and tripod and a bunch of papers and that is when I took a tumble. Fell right down there in the road on my CAMERA, banged up my elbow and knee, hurt my entire left side and lived to tell the story. My camera lens died that day, but the camera is fine and we just had to use a telephoto for the rest of the day's pictures. Soon after, the 3 searchers came out of the creek, carrying a soaking wet PSP. Yep Mike had it in his pocket, guess he wasn't expecting to get wet in that creek. Lucky for him the PSP lived and the only casualty was my camera lens. Cache number 4 was on the creek bed somewhere on the other side of the bridge, William and Pat gave it a quick look and we left that area zero for two.

We drove into Sedona to regroup, stopped in a parking lot and realized that a cache location was right there, so we hunted for that, but no my natural instincts had been whacked out of me with the fall, so after a quick search we abandoned that one. Checking our coordinates we realized that we passed two other caches on the drive from the creek to Sedona, and no one felt like going back so press on we did. Next stop a parking lot of an abandoned storefront office building. Pretty quick find under a huge rock, on we go. One more find at a church parking lot and that made our four finds for the day. We did search for one other but couldn't find it, and then the final two we decided to skip, everyone was tired and they involved a hike into a more remote area.

We had a great time even though we didn't find all the caches we were looking for. The red rock mountains are really gorgeous and look different at all times of the day depending where the sun is. Every stop had breathtaking views and it was a great day to be outside. I definitely want to go back to that area to search for more cache. That creek one is on my mind to find! We had to skip Slide Rock State Park too as it was way too crowded, the parking lot was full and no more cars were being allowed in. It looks like a fun place to spend some time and I will get back there soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...