Thursday, December 13, 2007

Things I Find Strange - No. 4

It rained quite a bit in the last couple of weeks, and when I say quite a bit I mean in two weeks of cloudy skies and on and off rain, the accumulation might have reached two inches. Now this is big news and cause for celebration here in the desert. We need the rain, we are running out of water, we must conserve. The park across the street is used for water retention, as are most parks I have seen. This is what it looks like after maybe an hour of light rainfall. All water is directed to the park area. I have seen this park look more like a lake than a park with a little water run-off.

But here is what I find strange, the day after, probably even during the "rain showers" the automatic sprinklers were going off.

Now here in a place where water conservation is cause for rantings in the letters to the editor, we are wasting water trying to have a green lawn. It is a desert for crying out loud, why do we need grass, have they not heard of desert landscaping? The grass is soaked, it does not absorb all that quickly into the ground, yet they continue to water it? I find this very Strange.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...