Monday, October 29, 2007

State Fair


We spent a hot and sunny Sunday afternoon at the State Fair. There weren't a whole lot of animals to see. We did catch the end of the sheep competition and there were about ten different breeds (or whatever they call them) of sheep. Most had been sheared and women were spinning their wool into yarn. There were some pigeons and roosters and turkeys, and that is about all on the animal front. Now the exhibits were much more interesting.

Kids and adults have their collections on display, everything from My Little Pony to thimbles to postcards to juicers to whatever else you can think of. Then there was the knitting/crocheting/sewing competitions. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say that I don't think those items were made this year. Most appear to be circa 1980s. The quilts were all gorgeous and much more decorative than the aforementioned knitting/crocheting/sewing items.

Food is always a big part of the Fair. It was kind of hot to eat, but that didn't stop me from trying Indian Frybread with chili meat and cheese on it. William had a turkey leg almost as big as his head. Mike had Fried Dr. Pepper, which appeared to be funnel cake pieces in a cup with Dr. Pepper syrup poured over them and then powdered sugar added. Pat got his favorite kettle corn to take home.

Then there are the rides and games. One spin on the tilt-a-whirl and I was done for the day. William did a superman flight, and fun houses, and slide and tilt-a-whirl and bumper cars. Mike wasn't much in to the rides this year, I think just the tilt-a-whirl. Pat did the bumper cars with William. The games are always my least favorite thing of a fair. I will save my ramblings for my rant on tacky fair games. The kids each won something so they were happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on the blog, Nancy! I'm very impressed and now feel like I need to at least update the family website. Maybe this weekend ...

Anonymous said...

Where do you find the time?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...